Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time of Day Dimension

3 posters

Go down

Time of Day Dimension Empty Time of Day Dimension

Post  hunain Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 am

Dear All,

I have a fact table which contains a foreign key to a date dimension however I would like to report usage by times of day e.g. Working Hours, Non Working Hours. Could you please suggest a design for a time of the day dimension table with one sample row. I need to report only by hours and minutes, not seconds which means i get 1440 rows. Thanks Guys!

hunain

Back to top Go down

Time of Day Dimension Empty Re: Time of Day Dimension

Post  hkandpal Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am

Hi ,

one way could be is you just create a a seperate time dimension which just contains the time ( hour and minute) and use that with your date, this way your date dim dose not contains 1440 entries for each day.

thanks

Himanshu

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Are you asking use what attributes the dimension should have?  I don't think anyone is qualified to do that.  Ask your users.

And you are probably not going to get a simple answer.  Even the notion of 'working hours' is not exactly a stable concept then lends itself to a simple 1440 row table.  It all depends on what the requirements are for the business.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down