Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From/To Dates and SCD Type 2 Process.

2 posters

Go down

From/To Dates and SCD Type 2 Process. Empty From/To Dates and SCD Type 2 Process.

Post  cmosquera Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 pm

If you have:

1. An eligibility table that contains a from and to date that tracks eligibility status for a person.
2. Several fields in this table are tracked for type 2 changes and some of these changes can happen retroactively to eligibility periods which have already passed. For example, a change to someone's old 2011 eligibility can happen in 2013.

Is it a good idea in the ETL to automatically expire the SCDs for records where the to date of the eligibility has already passed? There is a thought that it may be a good idea to do this to save processing time since there are quite a few of these that will never be updated again.
We are concerned however that if we follow this approach it will not work correctly. Can the ETL for a Type 2 SCD process be tweaked so that changes that happen to records which already have an expired SCDToDate be recorded?

Any advice on handling this situation?

Thanks!

cmosquera

Back to top Go down

From/To Dates and SCD Type 2 Process. Empty Attribute date v. SCD dates

Post  nick_white Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:58 am

I know this post has been around for a while but as no-one has responded I thought I would give it a go...

As a principle, you would never change the 'to' date on an SCD Dimension unless you were creating a newer version of it.
If I have understood your post correctly, the business key of your eligibility dimension is the person + their eligibility period? So the SCDs show how the attributes for this business key change over time e.g.

Person Elig_Start Elig_End SCD_Start SCD_End SCD_Current
A 01/01/2010 31/12/2010 15/12/2009 21/09/2010 N
A 01/01/2010 31/12/2010 22/09/2010 31/12/3000 Y

I'm not sure how expiring the SCD record would speed up your processing as I assume you only use the SCD dates to find the Dimension record applicable at a point in time e.g. "event_date BETWEEN SCD_start and SCD_End" - so whether SCD_End = 31/12/3000 or 14/01/2014 should make no difference to the speed of processing.

As an aside, and obviously I have no idea of your wider business processes and how you use eligibility, but isn't a person's eligibility a fact about that person that could be tracked in a fact table rather than a dimension?

Nick

nick_white

Back to top Go down