Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot

3 posters

Go down

Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot Empty Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot

Post  ruf81 Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:21 am

I'm designing a data mart in order to do reporting on train travels.
Even though it is a quite simplified model, I'm having a hard time meeting the reporting needs.

I have modeled a star schema with two fact tables and several dimensions.

FactTable 1: Granularity is travel leg per train. In addition to the obvious start and stop dates, it also contains various measures related to speed, power consumption and so on per leg.
FactTable2:  Granularity is maintenance events per train.

The key dimension  is obviously Dim.Train in this regard (both fact tables are related to this dimension).

Trouble is, that the end-user would like  to have a chart with the various performance measures over time.
This part is fine, as I just expose the departure time and the performance measures per travel leg giving me what I need.
In addition, he would also like to have a separate timeline (in the same graph) in order to plot the events on this.

Any ideas how to achieve this using PowerPivot and Excel ?

ruf81

Back to top Go down

Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot Empty Re: Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot

Post  nathanjones77 Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:21 am

'Trouble is, that the end-user would like to have a chart with the various performance measures over time.
This part is fine, as I just expose the departure time and the performance measures per travel leg giving me what I need.
In addition, he would also like to have a separate timeline (in the same graph) in order to plot the events on this.'

Hi ruf81, it isn't clear to me what you or your end user are trying to achieve with this reporting requriement. Can you clarify exactly what the user is trying to achieve?
thanks

nathanjones77

Back to top Go down

Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot Empty erer

Post  billhood Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:43 am

FactTable 1: Granularity is travel leg per train. In addition to the obvious start and stop dates, it also contains various measures related to speed, power consumption and so on per leg.

billhood

Back to top Go down

Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot Empty Re: Star schema design / Reporting in Excel/PowerPivot

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down