Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subscription Services - Timespan Fact Table

3 posters

Go down

Subscription Services - Timespan Fact Table Empty Subscription Services - Timespan Fact Table

Post  ccioffi Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:45 pm

We provide subscription services, where customers subscribe to a product and pay a monthly fee.  A customer can add/remove services at any point of the day, and we have a few million customer base.  I will be using a transaction fact table to record the addition/removal of services from customer accounts.  

The question is on the best method for maintaining a snapshot so that we can meet the requirement such as number of customers by service by day (or even as of x moment in time) or sum of recurring revenue by geography by day (or even as of x moment in time).

A periodic snapshot would not work in this case as I would at the very least need to make a daily snapshot which at millions of customers base seems it would get a bit large and I may be having performance issues a few months in.

Does a time-span fact table, with an effective and expiration date make sense here?  This is the way I am leaning, especially since I have been tempted to put the subscribed services in the customer dimension and track changes via type 2.

Regarding putting the subscribed services in the customer dimension, I have considered this because there are a lot analysis where business wants to know "number of customers that subscribe to x product that called into the call center *or replace called into the call center with a multitude of other business processes* and with the customer key in the multiple business process fact tables I would be able to slice those facts by the customer's subscribed services.

ccioffi

Back to top Go down

Subscription Services - Timespan Fact Table Empty Re: Subscription Services - Timespan Fact Table

Post  ccioffi Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 am

Any thoughts on this one?

ccioffi

Back to top Go down

Subscription Services - Timespan Fact Table Empty Re: Subscription Services - Timespan Fact Table

Post  nick_white Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 am

Why not amend/re-purpose your transaction fact table so that you have a single record per customer/service? If it has start/end dates (either as date fields directly in the fact or as FKs to your Date Dim) you can then use this to query for all customers who have a particular service at a point in time - and use the result directly or as a filter when querying other fact tables that have FKs to customers

Regards,

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 am

Do both, a transaction fact to capture ins and outs and a daily snapshot with a current view. You don't have to keep all the daily snapshots. Keep just the month end snapshot and possibly 30 days worth of dailies.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down