Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

context for multiple fact and bridge tables

2 posters

Go down

context for multiple fact and bridge tables Empty context for multiple fact and bridge tables

Post  ttl Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi, I need your help with context.
I am working with start schema. Have 3 fact tables - customer, account, manager. Each fact table has several dimension tables. Also have one bridge table that links customer, account and manager. I am creating a universe for ad-hoc queries. I created 3 contexts, one for each fact table. My question - do I need to create separate context for bridge table or add joins to the account, customer, manager contexts?

Thanks,
ttl

ttl

Back to top Go down

context for multiple fact and bridge tables Empty Re: context for multiple fact and bridge tables

Post  ngalemmo Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:39 pm

If you are asking about contexts in Business Objects, a context defines the scope of a query and the system will use whichever context is appropriate for the query at hand. It's not clear what your model is supposed to represent so I cannot comment specifically. However, this is no reason you cannot create multiple contexts, some that include the bridge and some that do not. It all depends on the join paths involved when the bridge is or isn't being used.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

context for multiple fact and bridge tables Empty Re: context for multiple fact and bridge tables

Post  ttl Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Yes, it is BO Universe Design Tool. It is universe for ad-hoc user queries. An example of user query - "select a customer with his/her associated accounts". If I write a SQL query, I would join customer with bridge table and bridge table with account table. As I mentioned - I have one context for customer, one for account. Do I need to include join from customer to bridge table and from account to bridge into the customer context. Or create context for bridge table that will have join from customer and account to bridge ?

C - customer fact
Cd1 - customer dim1
Cd2 - customer dim2
A -account fact
Ad1 - account dim1
Ad2 - account dim2
B- bridge
-< one-to-many

Cd1-< C
Cd2-< C
Ad1 -< A
Ad2 -< A
Cd1-Ad2-
Select Cd1,Cd2, Ad1, Ad2

ttl

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:59 pm

If the reason for the bridge is to deal with a multi-valued dimension (i.e. an account is jointly held by multiple customers) and you are attempting to relate customers to account facts, the context would include the account fact, account dimensions, the bridge, and the customer dimension.

If you need to address dimensional based reports (i.e. this customer has these accounts) then you would have another context that includes the bridge and related dimensions.

BO would choose to use one or the other based on the user query. If they include elements from the account fact it would use the first context, if they just use dimensional attributes it would use the latter context.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down