Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should a True/False value be a dimension

4 posters

Go down

Should a True/False value be a dimension Empty Should a True/False value be a dimension

Post  gbaren Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Should a true/false attribute be in the Fact table or a Dimension?

gbaren

http://equalsql.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Should a True/False value be a dimension Empty Re: Should a True/False value be a dimension

Post  nick_white Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:35 am

It depends...
If it is logically related to other attributes then it should be in the same Dim as those attributes
If you have a number of unrelated flags then consider putting them in a Junk dimension
If this is a standalone attribute then put it on your fact table as a degenerate dim

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Should a True/False value be a dimension Empty boolean flags

Post  rjback Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:20 am

I concur, but I wouldn't put it on the fact, even if it was a standalone attribute. I'd create a junk dimension from the get-go, because it will be easier to extend gracefully in future and experience says you'll probably find more of the same later.
If it was on the fact, I wouldn't call it a degenerate dimension, by the way- that term tends to be reserved for the types of dimension key that don't warrant other descriptive attributes, like invoice numbers.

rjback

Back to top Go down

Should a True/False value be a dimension Empty Re: Should a True/False value be a dimension

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Do you count the number of times something is true or false? If yes, fact.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down