Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keyword dimension question

2 posters

Go down

Keyword dimension question Empty Keyword dimension question

Post  itcouple Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:27 am

Hi

I want to build a DW for my websites and ensure that I won't have to re-design it.

I have two main objects. Keyword (for page that belongs to website) and page (that belongs to website). I think doing two dimensions: Keyword and Page is not needed so I thought about creating just one keyword dimension that will contain the following attributes:

Keyword
Page
Website
-- the above attributes are one unique business key

Now complications:
-- Each page has unique ID and name however it is not uncommon that I will do "redirect" on some pages so there will be another record in the table that will represent new Page and the old record/page will have ParentPageID of the new page/PageID (simple parent-child relationship).
-- Keywords may belong to old or new page (but not both) and I will handle that logic in ETL

I have two questions:
1) Is it best to have one dimension "keyword" (any disadvantages?)
2) How to handle load of pages into the dimension with "redirects" . For instance Keyword/Page/Website is unique however I can do Page redirect therefore PageName (and ID) will change but it is still the same Page that has the same keyword and website.

Example of data below (source)
PageID, PageName, WebsiteID, ParentPageID
1, MyPage1, 1, 2
2, MyPage2, 1, NULL

There are two records however it is only one current page (PageID = 2)

Many thanks in advance
Emil

itcouple

Back to top Go down

Keyword dimension question Empty Keyword dimension

Post  itcouple Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 am

I have been thinking about that and have one idea.

DimKeyword:
ID (surrogateKey)
WebsiteName
PageNameID (unique for website. This is actually page name not id but I called it ID due to next field)
PageName (Latest PageName. This is what I will use but I want "pageNameID" for history analysis)
Keyword

So I think that might work so I extract Keyword (ensure it belongs only to one page) and populate with other attributes. PageNameID would be Type 2 and PageName Type 1 but I would update it for all related PageNameIDs (redirects).

This is my first "on my own" dimension design so I would appreciate your comments.
Regards
Emil

itcouple

Back to top Go down

Keyword dimension question Empty 3 dimension after all

Post  itcouple Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:43 am

I've been thinking about fact tables I need and it seems my dimension approach doesn't make sense... Initially I thought it would be nice to have one dimension so it is easier to find things and I thought my example is similar to product and category/subcategory attribute but now thinking about it it isn't because my attributes are part of fact FKs.

So I think I will go with the following dimensions:
ID
WebsiteAddress
WebsiteName (for redirect purposes, one name multiple addresses)

Page:
ID
PageID (page name but used as ID)
PageName (latest page name)

Keyword:
ID
Keyword
(I don't think I need anything else here?)

Regards
Emil

itcouple

Back to top Go down

Keyword dimension question Empty Re: Keyword dimension question

Post  ngalemmo Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Is keyword simply an attribute of the page? That is something the categorizes the page?

If you are pulling from your own logs, other than the referring URL, you will only get references to your pages. Why wouldn't a single page dimension work? Keyword (aka page category) and site are just attributes of the page.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Keyword dimension question Empty keyword

Post  itcouple Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. In my case it is actually the other way. Page categorizes keyword. So I can have multiple keywords for one page. Keyword is actually more important for me than page as keyword is what I use for analysis in most cases. The reason why I changed my mind was that I will have several fact tables and some of them will be page granularity and some keyword granularity (I might create website granularity fact table as well for targets/forecast).

The main traffic log table will actually contain website/page and keyword as I do record previous URL and if it comes from google I know what the user typed to get to a specific page.

Initially I thought that having one keyword dimension will be easier to use but now I think 3 dimensions might be much simplier to implement and probably the right thing to do??

Regards
Emil

itcouple

Back to top Go down

Keyword dimension question Empty Re: Keyword dimension question

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down