Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need to create Dynamic dimension for use via BI system

2 posters

Go down

Need to create Dynamic dimension for use via BI system Empty Need to create Dynamic dimension for use via BI system

Post  Samsingh Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:59 am

I have requirement to model an dimension which should result into element based on dynamic time period prompt via reporting tool.
Example: I want to analyze the cost which is one of KPI in my fact table which may be queried to fetch data by month/Quarter/year.
Need to introduce dimension which will break the analysis into YES and NO (YES for cost belong to members who are still enrollment as of end of time period reported and No means member not still enrolls as of end of time period reported). Now as of end of time period meaning for Quarter it is last month of that quarter and for year its last month that's Dec if Jan to DEC year or for a custom period it will last month.

Any clue on this type of dimension modelling would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Samsingh

Back to top Go down

Need to create Dynamic dimension for use via BI system Empty Re: Need to create Dynamic dimension for use via BI system

Post  Jeff Smith Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Why not use a Case statement in a report or put the case statement in the metadata of your reporting software? Or create an aggregate table that is a drop and reload with logic that assigns the appropriate value.

I don't really understand it when people are given requirements to build a dimension table that does such and such. The requirement is for a particular capability. Maybe that capability can be achieved in a report, by dropping and recreating aggregate tables, within the meta data layer, or within in a dimension table.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Need to create Dynamic dimension for use via BI system Empty Re: Need to create Dynamic dimension for use via BI system

Post  Samsingh Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Yes Jim. Handing in reporting layer is the right way if business use cases are limited to few reports or finite filters. There are certainly other options in reporting layer however they are not performing well. As we are building BI platform which is truly ad-hoc in nature I just want to take suggestions from the community on such kind of requirements. Thanks for your view on this.

Samsingh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down