Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed

4 posters

Go down

SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed Empty SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed

Post  ksaizon Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Looking for guidance on the best method for creating an SQL view. The 2 methods in question are as follows:
(1)
CREATE VIEW “VIEW NAME” AS
SELECT *
FROM “TABLE NAME”

(2)
CREATE VIEW “VIEW NAME” AS
SELECT COLUM1, COLUMN 2 , COLUM3, COLUMN 4, COLUMN 5, etc…
FROM “TABLE NAME”

What are the drawbacks/advatages of each method, keeping in mind the view could possibly be updated to include join to another table, and calculations/comparisons on columns could aslo be done?

ksaizon

Back to top Go down

SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed Empty Re: SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed

Post  ngalemmo Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 pm

My opinion is that the best practice is to enumerate the columns returned by the view (i.e. #2). And, if you are doing joins or deriving columns, you really have no choice. You might as well be consistent.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed Empty SELECT *

Post  Mike Honey Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi ksaizon,

I'd like to put the case for option 1 (SELECT *). This certainly has the advantage of much less code to maintain, and (for MS SQL Server) doesn't preclude any join or derived column code you might want to add.

A further advantage that isn't as obvious, is that I strongly prefer to drive most logic of any complexity (e.g. anything more complex than a single-column join or an ISNULL derived column) upstream and perform it in the ETL layer, not in Views. The ETL tools (e.g. SSIS) can use various techniques to optimize the logic and performance, and apply a single consistent definition. The result is then stored in columns which can be indexed to optimize query performance.

So when I'm reviewing or mentoring an ETL team using SELECT * views, I can quickly scan their View code - it should mostly be SELECT * style. Anything more complex triggers me to stop and review why they are not performing that logic in the ETL layer.

Good luck!
Mike
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed Empty Re: SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed

Post  John Simon Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:50 am

SELECT * is bad practice.

Firstly, there is the performance hit. If you include all columns, then you require a scan of each table (unless you are silly enough to write a covering index for every column of every table).

Secondly, if you write SELECT * for a view with multiple tables, how do you know which tables the columns PRODUCTKEY and PRODUCTKEY1 refer to? You don't. If you are using a LEFT JOIN, you may be then trying to use the PRODUCTKEY that contains NULLS.

It's simply bad practice and any google search will show that. You should only include the columns you need in the view.

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

SQL View Creation Standards - Guidance Needed Empty In defence of SELECT *

Post  Mike Honey Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 am

Hi John,

I should've been specific that I'm referring to Microsoft SQL Server, where the issues you listed don't exist in my experience.

In MS SQL Server, the view code is effectively "compiled" when you create the view, locking in the current schema definition. At runtime, the query optimizer "looks through" the view definition and only requests the minimum required columns from the source tables. You can see this at work in the varying Excecution Plans generated when you select various combinations of columns from a "SELECT *" view. So in my experience there is no "performance hit".

Regarding your second point, the JOIN clause is separate to the SELECT clause, and using "SELECT *" does not prevent you from coding your JOIN with table prefixes - in fact you have to code with table prefixes, otherwise you will get an error for ambiguous column references.

In such a multi-table query, you can also use syntax like "SELECT Table1.*, Table2.ColumnB " if you want to return all columns from Table1, together with selected columns from Table2.

I'm not sure what google search you relied on to draw your conclusion - I couldn't turn up anything to support your view after 3 or 4 attempts.

In any case, I'd suggest this topic is more subtle than you think. I certainly didn't mean to imply that the more conventional style of view coding was somehow "bad" - I merely intended to present an alternative perspective.
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Simon Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 am

Sorry Mike, you're quite right. I was focusing on the SELECT * which is a no-no.

If you do a SELECT * for the creation of the view, then there is no difference if the user selects only particular columns. However if they run a SELECT * from the view, that will indeed have a performance impact.

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down