Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table?

2 posters

Go down

Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table? Empty Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table?

Post  phoenixbai Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:59 am

Hi All,

This is my first post, so hi and nice to meet you all.

My Business Requirement: client wants the amounts of sale tax. And client offers the list the tax rate for certain product categories, for the rest, no tax rate.

My question would be: can I store the the tax rate as an attribute of the product dimension?
if no, why? and how you guys deal with this kind of situation in which, the tax rateh is based on the product?

Thanks

phoenixbai

Back to top Go down

Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table? Empty Re: Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table?

Post  ngalemmo Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:07 am

Absolutely not! Sales tax should be its own dimension. It has no direct relationship to product. It is a function of product, usage, and location.

Also, if you are collecting sales tax, it is more than likely your company is on the hook to sending a number of checks every quarter to various municipalities, counties, parishes, and states. Having a tax dimension and an associated bridge to distribute tax by taxing authority would allow users to easily produce information for their quarterly tax returns.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table? Empty You are right, I should create a new tax rate dimension. Thank you very much for the instanct response

Post  phoenixbai Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:32 am

ngalemmo wrote:Absolutely not! Sales tax should be its own dimension. It has no direct relationship to product. It is a function of product, usage, and location.

Also, if you are collecting sales tax, it is more than likely your company is on the hook to sending a number of checks every quarter to various municipalities, counties, parishes, and states. Having a tax dimension and an associated bridge to distribute tax by taxing authority would allow users to easily produce information for their quarterly tax returns.

phoenixbai

Back to top Go down

Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table? Empty Re: Store the tax rate as the attribute of product in product dimension table?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down