Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conformed Bridge Dimension?

4 posters

Go down

Conformed Bridge Dimension? Empty Conformed Bridge Dimension?

Post  johankarlss Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi all,

I've got a conformed dim "Ethnicity" which is used by several facts in my data-mart. The business process recently changed so that a record in the fact table can be linked to one or more Ethnicities, so I built a bridge dimension "EthnicityBridge".
What's the best approach here out of the 2 options:

1 - create only 1 bridge and "conform" it so that all facts are referencing the same physical bridge. The surrogate key in the fact would have to be unique across all fact tables.

2 - create a bridge table per fact which links to the same Ethnicity dimension, I will effectively end up with 7 bridges as I have 7 fact tables.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Johan

johankarlss

Back to top Go down

Conformed Bridge Dimension? Empty Re: Conformed Bridge Dimension?

Post  BoxesAndLines Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:06 pm

Ethnicity is such a low cardinality, I would look to create a row for all combinations to avoid a bridge table.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  johankarlss Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 pm

thanks.

yes, that was actually the initial design. However as there are around 32 recognized ethnicities here in New Zealand that we need data analysed by and we're capturing up to 6 per person depending on the source system; we had to change to a bridge.

Any other thoughts on the options above?

johankarlss

Back to top Go down

Post  hang Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:13 am

I would have a single bridge table for m-m relationship between person and ethinicity dimension. I would also have a primary ethinicity flag in the bridge if it is type 1, or a primary attribute in person dimension if you want to keep it as type 2.

hang

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Assuming you don't need to restate historical facts, and assuming your ethnicity dimension is common across all facts, then I would go with the single bridge. Historically, you can create bridge rows for the existing dimension rows, so that you do not need to rekey the ethnicity FK's in the facts. Then generate new combinations in the bridge as you encounter them in new facts.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down