Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Party (Person/Organization) Dimension

2 posters

Go down

Party (Person/Organization) Dimension Empty Party (Person/Organization) Dimension

Post  DWModeler Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a model that needs party as a super type and person and organization as sub types. I read Kimball's Interesting Trio of Snowflakes and have a question about implementing that approach. Instead of referencing Person/Organization as a FK in Party dimension, I think reversing the relationship will work better i.e. Refer to Party as FK in Person and Organization.

Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks

DWModeler

Back to top Go down

Party (Person/Organization) Dimension Empty Re: Party (Person/Organization) Dimension

Post  DWModeler Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Please share your experience how you modeled this in dimensional model and why

Thanks in advance

DWModeler

Back to top Go down

Party (Person/Organization) Dimension Empty Re: Party (Person/Organization) Dimension

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I built a single dimension that sourced the data from the best available source. For each source for a party, I maintained a cross reference table to manage the keys. Informatica IDQ managed all of the rules around matching and consolidation.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down