Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katie and Emil "10 Steps" guide to building a data warehouse

2 posters

Go down

Katie and Emil "10 Steps" guide to building a data warehouse Empty Katie and Emil "10 Steps" guide to building a data warehouse

Post  itcouple Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi

We decided to share our "10 steps" to building a data warehouse which is based on our experience only. I wonder if anyone has similar steps or may maybe different ones?

Below is link

Katie and Emil 10 Steps guide

Take care
Emil

itcouple

Back to top Go down

Katie and Emil "10 Steps" guide to building a data warehouse Empty Example

Post  frankee787 Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:52 am

It would be great if you could explain more on how you have made the transition from STEP3 to STEP4 , probably with an example.

Regards,
Franklin

frankee787

Back to top Go down

Katie and Emil "10 Steps" guide to building a data warehouse Empty 10 steps

Post  itcouple Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Franklin,

Not sure if I will answer the questions precisely so I will try to just provide more details for step 3 and 4.

Step 3. We have completed (subject to change) Kimball Bus Matrix where business decided which business process / Activity to target first. So if there are 5 only 1 should be chosen.

Step 4. Get data and import it as fact/dimensional models (some ad-hoc manipulation may be needed). For PoC I don't care about surrogate keys etc (I use business keys) and just focus on model that can be used with Excel. If SharePoint is used (or Excel 2013) then Power View can be used to do some quick analysis.

Hope that makes it clearer... if you have more questions let me know, I'll be happy to share my thoughts.

Regards
Emil

itcouple

Back to top Go down

Katie and Emil "10 Steps" guide to building a data warehouse Empty Re: Katie and Emil "10 Steps" guide to building a data warehouse

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down