Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identifying business processes

3 posters

Go down

Identifying business processes Empty Identifying business processes

Post  dw.know415 Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 am

Hello

I have been reading articles and books by Kimball and understand the 4 steps process, identify business processes, declare grain, define dimensions and facts. I am new to a DW/BI project in which we are in the initial stage of gathering requirements (mainly source driven requirements gathering) and subsequently starting the dimensional modeling.

I am stumbling on the first step that is identifying the business processes. Usually the way it is explained in the books is that Orders, Shipments, Invoice etc. are business processes. Also it is said that the business processes must not be for some specific calculations or reports. But in my case the requirements are to create a DW/Data marts to support 5 categories of complex reports for various customers. The underlying source for all the reports comes from an OLTP source system which has daily transactions. In this case how should I go about identifying the business processes?

Thanks in advance for any help!

dw.know415

Back to top Go down

Identifying business processes Empty Re: Identifying business processes

Post  thedude Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Can you give a bit context around the business process? This will help me / you understand how that should translate into a dimensional model.

1. What is the business?
2. You say you have customers, what type of customers are they?
3. Can you tell us what the reports are showing / calculatiing? What measures, attributes and filters do they contain?

Thanks

thedude

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Understand the source data model is where I would start. Then take a look at the reporting requirements. When you can rationalize a report to the OLTP model, you're ready to start.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down