Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Including two business processes in one report

4 posters

Go down

Including two business processes in one report Empty Including two business processes in one report

Post  simon.s Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:50 pm

I have a requirement to include two business processes in one report.
My business processes are:
  • Inventory
  • Sales

My report must include mostly inventory measures (Qty on hand, etc.), but also some metrics derived from sales (Avg. sale price over the last 7|14 days).
What are the options as far as how I model & execute this?
So far, this is what I can think of:
  • Model it as 2 fact tables then just bring both in to the reporting tool
  • Create a 3rd fact table specific to this report

Curious if anyone has any other/better ideas?

simon.s

Back to top Go down

Including two business processes in one report Empty Re: Including two business processes in one report

Post  ngalemmo Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Inventory and sales are definitely different fact tables. Different events, different points in time...

If these are two distinct reports that, just so happens, they need to appear on the same sheet of paper, from the database point of view, its two different queries. If they are coordinated along some dimensions, then aggregate each to the same grain and then combine the sets (union or join).
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Including two business processes in one report Empty Re: Including two business processes in one report

Post  simon.s Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks for the response!
So what I hear you saying is that you would just do it in the reporting query - you wouldn't create any additional tables. Did I get that correct?

Thanks again

simon.s

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Yes. A lot of reporting tools, if you are using one, will handle that stuff for you.

The decision to create an aggregate table is primarily a performance one. Try using queries first. If response is reasonable, then fine, you are done.

If the response is not acceptable, then try building an aggregate to reduce the work needed to query.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

I agree with ngalemmo. I would only add that if the report is a standard report and if performance is an issue, you can also considered making the report a snap shot. Some reporting softwares will allow you to run the report once and save the results as kind of a view in the reporting environment. When users open the report, they are looking at the pre-run view as opposed to running the report from the database. It all depends.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Isn't this just a dashboard?
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down