Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too many bridge tables dimensional modeling - pros/cons

2 posters

Go down

Too many bridge tables dimensional modeling - pros/cons Empty Too many bridge tables dimensional modeling - pros/cons

Post  BiSolution Sun May 19, 2013 10:13 am

I'm working in dimensional modeling for health care domain. We come across many bridge tables (many-many) to join dim and lookup table. i have minimum 10-15 bridge tables for provider dimension....in cube design...obviously all the bridge table are related as many-many relation. Please let me know i'm in right direction in considering bridge tables. i'm curious to know, will be there be any performance impact because of too many bridge tables in dimensional modeling. Suggestion is highly appreciated.. Thank you!!

Eg.,
Provider
Provider_Cegory (Bridge Table) Many-many - Provider can have multiple category and category can be shared by multiple provider
Provider Category Type

Provider
Provider_Identifier (Bridge Table) Many-many -Provider can have multiple identifier and identifier can be shared by multiple provider
Prvider Identifier Type lookup

BiSolution

Back to top Go down

Too many bridge tables dimensional modeling - pros/cons Empty Re: Too many bridge tables dimensional modeling - pros/cons

Post  ngalemmo Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Health care is like that. Bridges are the best way to deal with many-to-many relationships. Fortunately, a typical query isn't going to use all of them. Most good BI tools will allow you to hide the complexity.

My experience with them has been limited to relational structures. If you are intending to load cubes (i.e. MDDB structures) you will most likely need to compromise what you load into a particular cube, not because of the bridge, but because MDDB's do not handle many-to-many relationships very well.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Too many bridge tables dimensional modeling - pros/cons Empty Re: Too many bridge tables dimensional modeling - pros/cons

Post  BiSolution Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Thank you!!
We are using SSAS for cube design with many-many relation for bridge tables. Yes, we may not use all the bridge tables and it depends on requirement. From your point, we cannot avoid bridge tables usage in health care dimensional modeling...

BiSolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down