Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modelling help for multiple level facts

2 posters

Go down

Modelling help for multiple level facts Empty Modelling help for multiple level facts

Post  terry_stjean Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:32 am

We have an Expense application which has an Expense Header, Expense Details and Expense GL Transactions.
I need some help on the design. All 3 tables contain fact and dimension data.
The issue I have is in relating the 3 fact tables.
On the Dimension side, I have created tables for Date, Customer, GL Account etc.
Do I create a Fact and Dimension table for the Expense Header and then relate the Dimension Expense Header to the Expense Details Fact.
Similarly, do I create a Fact and Dimension table foe the Expense Details and relate the Dimension Expense Details to te Expense GL Transactions Fact.

terry_stjean

Back to top Go down

Modelling help for multiple level facts Empty Re: Modelling help for multiple level facts

Post  kapoor_dh Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:30 am

Combine all the non-measurable attributes into an Expense Detail dimenion table and assuming that the amounts associated with the Expense Details and GL account transaction are at same level combine them into a single Fact table Expenses Fact and associate the dimension with the fact,also associate this fact table with other dimensions you have like date ,custome etc.

kapoor_dh

Back to top Go down