Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modelling Products with Stages

3 posters

Go down

Modelling Products with Stages Empty Modelling Products with Stages

Post  pauljames Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 am

Asking for opinions on how to model a dimension for a product that can go through multiple stages in it's life.

Scenario 1: A credit card has a 2% introductory rate which moves to 5% after 6 months (one after the other)
Scenario 2: A credit card has a 0% introductory rate for balance transfers, but 5% for purchases (concurrent).

The two main facts would be:-

1: The credit card application (card (or card-product), application date, customer - measuring credit limit)
2: The credit card usage (card (or card-product), usage date, usage time, store used in, customer - measuring transaction amount)

I can forsee difficulties in having a single record per product, but I'm not sure one record per product stage would be "right".

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul

pauljames

Back to top Go down

Modelling Products with Stages Empty Re: Modelling Products with Stages

Post  ngalemmo Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:28 am

Why wouldn't a dimension row per stage be right? Alternately, you could have a rate dimension, but it would seem to me there woudn't be that many products and adding rate dimension would be overkill.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LAndrews Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm

I agree - just model it like any other dimension, and process the rate changes like any other type-2 attribute.

I'd possibly had additional columns to the dimension (bal_transfer_rate, Purch_rate_change_amount and purch_rate_change_reason). That covers you for any type of rate change in the future.(annual rate adjustment, regulatory change etc).

LAndrews

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:33 pm

From what I gather, it really isn't a type 2, but rather a more complex natural key... product/length of time held, or something like that...

The working rate for the product would change based on the length of time a particular customer had the card/product, so, at any point in time, the stage of the product will vary from customer to customer.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pauljames Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:18 am

Thanks for the replies.

Re: ngalemmo

It is a complex, multi valued natural key dimension that for credit cards would be at product stage granularity.

It would most likely be a type 2 as the default rate for a card could change over time and this historical rate is useful to the business (although they may want to do mathematical analysis on historic rates - would this need a fact table?).

The reason it didn't feel right was because I was thinking of further complications when conforming this product dimension with others across the business that have a slightly different approach (I'm only 40 pages into "The Kimball Group Reader" - but I now realise how I'd underestimated the importance of Conformed Dimensions previously).

i.e. Mortgages - each product stage can also have many penalty stages associated with it, so an example might be

Prod A - 5% for 2 years, then onto a default rate (which can change over the life of a mortgage)
During the first 2 years there is a penalty for redeeming early...

4% of outstanding balance for months 1-6
3% of outstanding balance for months 7-12
2% of outstanding balance for months 13-18
1% of outstanding balance for months 19-24

This would mean the product dimension would be at Product/Stage/Penalty Stage granularity, but not all products across the business would have this level of granularity (credit cards would be higher level - none would be lower).

However, actually writing this down (and reading the replies) does make it seem correct to express the lowest possible grain in the dimension.

I just want to make sure I can't think of any products that may have a lower grain, or anything else that might cause issues later.

Thanks,
Paul

pauljames

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down