Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canonical Data Model for Data warehouse

3 posters

Go down

Canonical Data Model for Data warehouse Empty Canonical Data Model for Data warehouse

Post  Nandha Kumar Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Would like to get your views on suitability of canonical data model for data warehouses. Most of my experience is with star schemas where the ETL is tightly coupled with the source and target data structures. I am seeing articles around canonical model that promises to be loosely coupled . One of the articles I read was referring to a design with common minimal attributes in the dimensional model and extended by XML schema for the extended attributes.

I am finding it difficult to convince myself canonical will work for enterprise data warehouse. Any thoughts ?

Last edited by Nandha Kumar on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Nandha Kumar

Back to top Go down

Canonical Data Model for Data warehouse Empty Re: Canonical Data Model for Data warehouse

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Good luck.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Canonical Data Model for Data warehouse Empty Re: Canonical Data Model for Data warehouse

Post  ngalemmo Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 pm

You typically find such models in applications where data is collected from many different sources, the contents vary widely and there is a need to integrate it. An example would be reference data in the securities/financial industry.

Such models require a software layer to integrate and present the data in more traditional forms. It is not particularly well suited for an end-user accessible DW becuase of this complexity. However, it can be used in a hub arrangement that publishes more traditional views of the data for consumption.

But 99% of the time, a DW is fed from structured, known, well-defined sources. Creating a canonical model of such data is simply not necessary or desireable.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down