Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preperaing a plane for Data warehouse and BI Tool projects

2 posters

Go down

Preperaing a plane for Data warehouse and BI Tool projects Empty Preperaing a plane for Data warehouse and BI Tool projects

Post  mmoayed Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi All,
I am preparing plan of DW and BI project .
I have started with preparing the Business Requirements and BI tools requirements and I am almost completed with these tasks .Project is approved and budgeted .

What are the steps that a vendors will do after signing the contract
Does the first step business analyst .
Could you please help in what are these steps ,the project is for dimensional data module and BI tools .

regards,

mmoayed

Back to top Go down

Preperaing a plane for Data warehouse and BI Tool projects Empty Re: Preperaing a plane for Data warehouse and BI Tool projects

Post  DilMustafa Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:06 am

This is what I will do, again this is based on experiece and it has worked perfectly at large BI shops.

1. Business Case
2. Pain points and quick wins
3. Vendor Selection based on features (prepare detailed criterion for DB,ETL/DI,BI Front Ends(OLAP/Analytics selection)
4. Invite vendors...ask them to present their technology based on the requirements and criteria submitted by you...ofcourse allow them to go beyond your requirements for future needs etc.
5. Score vendors.....Select vendor in each category DB,ETL/DI,Front End
6. Train your people
7. Business Requiremnts
8. Conceptual, Logical and Physical Data Models could be Dimensional,Relational or Data Vault based on your preferred architecture.
9. Design Development Startegy and QA Startegy
*** Project Management related activities are not listed above.

Hope this helps...

DilMustafa

Back to top Go down