Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy

3 posters

Go down

Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy Empty Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy

Post  mugen_kanosei Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:50 am

I am trying to find guidance on warehouse philosophy. The typical environment that I see most people talk about is a standard business where you have sales, marketing, production, etc. The organization I work for is an IT service provider for another organization. As such, there are no sales/marketing/etc. areas typical of other businesses, as the warehouse scope is limited to this contract. Essentially the focus areas of data are the trouble ticketing system, call distribution system, network/server performance, etc. with possibly some dealing with personnel and operating cost. We are also in the process of implementing ITIL best practices and are using Remedy as our ITSM tool. My concerns when it comes to warehousing, is I want to help provide metrics data and analysis that is useful to management for contract compliance and improvement, but I hesitate to duplicate functionality that some of the IT tools provide natively. Where is the fine line between people using the functionality of the tools provided to get data for their day to day jobs and duplicating the data in warehouse? And how does a warehouse fit into the ITIL framework?

mugen_kanosei

Back to top Go down

Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy Empty Re: Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Build when the functionality of the tool doesn't meet the business reporting requirements. This could be as simple as history or could be extensive as a full blown data warehouse. Take Remedy for example, I had to build a reporting mart from Remedy extracts to provide additional reporting above and beyond what Remedy provides.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy Empty How does a data warehouse fit into the ITIL framework?

Post  snchunduru Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:00 am

mugen_kanosei wrote:I am trying to find guidance on warehouse philosophy. The typical environment that I see most people talk about is a standard business where you have sales, marketing, production, etc. The organization I work for is an IT service provider for another organization. As such, there are no sales/marketing/etc. areas typical of other businesses, as the warehouse scope is limited to this contract. Essentially the focus areas of data are the trouble ticketing system, call distribution system, network/server performance, etc. with possibly some dealing with personnel and operating cost. We are also in the process of implementing ITIL best practices and are using Remedy as our ITSM tool. My concerns when it comes to warehousing, is I want to help provide metrics data and analysis that is useful to management for contract compliance and improvement, but I hesitate to duplicate functionality that some of the IT tools provide natively. Where is the fine line between people using the functionality of the tools provided to get data for their day to day jobs and duplicating the data in warehouse? And how does a warehouse fit into the ITIL framework?

ITIL frame work is mostly used to support IT / Business applications. During this process a lot data is collected to monitor or the support operations. The same data can be used as a source data for data warehouse to deliver performance / analytical reports.

Suggested to look at Kimball or Inmon methodology to build data warehouses. The methodology provides a process to identify dimensions and measures during the requirement gathering process. The simple technique is to find what to measure (numeric) by which expres​sion(noun) to identify facts and dimensions (attributes). Hope this answers some of your questions.

snchunduru

Back to top Go down

Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy Empty Re: Looking for guidance on warehouse philosophy

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down